Tuesday, September 6, 2011

One Day at a Time

My baby boy is 12 weeks old today. That means my maternity leave has come to an end and tomorrow I return to work. I can't believe how quickly the time has passed. It's such a contrast to the two years before, when I couldn't believe I'd gone one day, one week, a month, and then 2 years without my daughter. I kept looking back at yesterday, the big yesterday I wished I could live over again. I feared tomorrow, the months and years without her. The phrase "one day at a time" has taken on new meaning for me in the past few weeks.

Soon after my daughter died, I found myself reliving that day over and over again, the parts I'd actually experienced, and the parts (events leading up to her death) that I never saw and have no confirmation of. I felt as though I could either make it more real or unreal if I played the film in my head enough times. Then the day came where I tried to stop the movie from playing. The deep shock passed, and when I remembered anything, I had horrible flashbacks that left me sobbing, screaming, scared, and then exhausted. The only way I could make them stop was to focus on the immediate present--I would recite facts such as the date, my name, address, and run my fingers along the fabric of my pants or chair to have a physical sensation to focus on.

This lurching back and forth from dwelling in the past and worrying about the future had the odd effect of making the present go by without my ever really experiencing it. There are events, feelings, so many things that I can't remember. I'm sure the shock made it so I couldn't fully feel, but even things that I thought I was present for are tough to recall.

A few weeks ago, I found myself back in that week, remembering something about my daughter's memorial service. Rather than letting myself think about it, I forcefully dragged myself back to the present. I didn't want to remember, to be taken back to that period. I realize in some way I have compartmentalized my memories of my daughter. The good memories are allowed to come up and relived as fully as possible, while the bad ones (mostly her actual death and the week after) I make a conscious effort to avoid.

I don't think this is unhealthy--I don't try to pretend she's still alive, I don't live in the past, and if I feel sad, then I go ahead and cry. But I'm not dwelling in that past anymore. I also find that I'm not looking at the future as often either. I'm not worrying about what will happen on the day my children realize what happened to their big sister. I don't try to figure out how I'll get through the rest of this life without her.

A friend told me recently that I sound better now than I have in the past two years. My only explanation for this is my son. I told her my baby girl saved me--she forced me to fight--and my baby boy has brought me peace. Maybe I've stopped running--running away from the past and the future--and am finally sitting right here on today.

I've posted this before, but it bears repeating. Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow is a nice little verse that I think most people can relate to. Thinking only about today may be the sanest way to live (why worry about things we can't change or even imagine?) but it certainly doesn't come easy. My dreaded tomorrow right now involves going back to work. I just don't want to. I'm not saying I don't want to work, I just don't feel like going back to the same job I've had for nearly 8 years. But that's literally only tomorrow I'm thinking of, not next week, month, or year. I've come a long way in controlling my future-tripping tendencies. It is definitely something that requires effort.

The milestones I was afraid of, most of them have now passed and I haven't worried about any of them in a while. The two that remain are the day my daughter moves out of her crib and into her bed (actually, her big sister's former bed) and September 28, the day my baby girl will finally be older than her big sister ever was. Just reading that sentence makes my stomach turn over.

So tomorrow, I will be back at work, doing my best to stay in the present, and live just one day at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, but I do believe that the ability to live in the present is a healthy, powerful thing. It's sometimes said that depression, which is usually about regret, is focused on the past, whereas anxiety centers around the future, and that neither of these states can exist in the present moment.

    I hope that your son continues to bring new lightness and peace to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crying my eyes out reading your words. I am so traumatised of that day that i lost Lennon and relive the brutal hours day in and day out. Those words about yesterday, today and tomorrow are beautiful and i wish i had control of letting the past go, accepting that tragedy. Mybe i should make a little artwork about that poem and put it up so that one day i too will be able to not only understand but also live by those words. Again a big thanks to your blog for making me feel less lonely with my grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadja, I think I'm sorry for making you cry, though I know you probably would even without reading my blog. I don't think you can make yourself let go. I actually remember that day, when I realized she was gone, telling myself over and over that someday enough time would be by when it wouldn't hurt so much. Sadly, it's because we are human and we do forget. I feel guilty sometimes for stopping myself from reliving those memories, but I do feel like I experienced them enough early on that I shouldn't keep torturing myself. A friend asked me, soon after the accident, why I would want to remember it rather than my daughter's life. At the time, I don't think I had a choice. My brain was trying to process it. I do feel like by letting myself remember I did process it and am able now to live in the present, rather than in the past, like parents who never change their child's room, or refuse to talk about how they died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could think of all the happy times I had with my son, but I feel like my brain still wont let me. My brain just fast forwards any happy memories to that day x. Maybe my brain wants me to finally accept what happened. And part of me probably also wants to torture myself with these images, although I know it wasn't my fault, yet I do feel responsible for having made the wrong choice for him. but I also know that you and I don't have a choice but to keep on going and being there for our other children like we wanted to be there for our first borns.
    On another note I wanted to let you know that having had another baby has also been good for us. It doesn't heal anything but it gives new joys. x

    ReplyDelete