Friday, November 11, 2011

I Want To Feel

Watching my friend grieve the loss of her son is bringing me back to the early days after losing my daughter. One thing I remember clearly now is wishing someone would come drug me, shoot me up with something that would take away all the pain and anger. I wondered for months and months why no one did that. Why wasn't it like the movies, when the mother crumples to the floor, overcome with grief (that did actually happen) and someone rushes over and injects her with something that makes her go slack, stop screaming? I fell down, but I didn't scream, I didn't cry, and at the time, no one came to my rescue.

I mentioned this to a friend months ago, and she said someone did actually give me a sedative. But I refused to take it--I was breastfeeding and the pharmacist had specifically said this drug couldn't be taken while nursing a baby. Of course, I could have given my daughter formula, but somehow, that seemed harder to me. My daughter is stubborn as I am, and almost never took bottles, even of expressed breastmilk.

But it's more than that. Even as she got older, and I struggled with daily life through the grief, my therapist and friends suggested I try antidepressants or antianxiety medication. And again, I refused. As a friend reminded me this week, I said I wanted to feel. At first, it was an obsessive need--I imagined my daughter's death, the parts I witnessed and the parts I didn't--over and over again. Maybe I was trying to undo it, or make it real to me. I can't even describe how horrible it felt, count how many times I broken down screaming and crying, thinking I would go crazy at this unbelievable thing that I had lived through.

I said the same thing at the time that I say now--I want to feel. I didn't want medication because I wanted to know that what I felt was real. I didn't want to wonder whether I was feeling something because of what I'd been through or because of the medication I was taking. I was afraid that if I took anything to change the way I felt or reacted, that someday, when I stopped taking it, I would return to that level of emotion because I'd never experienced it. Or worse yet, that I'd never be able to stop taking it. I'm always wary of something that's not part of me--even the weight I gain while pregnant and the changes my body goes through seem so foreign. It's even worse to me to have my mind be affected by something like that.

I believe our bodies, minds, and hearts are designed to feel, that this feeling is what makes us human and eventually helps us heal. This doesn't mean I don't think anyone should take medication. We are all different--our bodies, minds, experiences--and all need different things to make it through each day. But I do think that if you don't let yourself feel it all--sadness, anger, and despair--you really can't ever move forward. As I described previously, that puts you on a particular path. Is it the path you want to be on? Only you can really answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment