Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baby Born and the Waves That Keep Crashing Over Me

Baby born in winter's sleep
Snowflakes fall, snuggle deep

Baby love, a year old today
Up with the sun, ready to play.

These are the first and last pages of a book I read to my daughter. I bought it when I had my first daughter. It tracks a baby born in winter through her first year. I hadn't read it for a while, because it always made me cry. I tried tonight, and found that the last page still makes me cry.

It's a fact, my daughter is gone. Daily life doesn't bring despair. I am, as I thought I would be, used to her death. It's horrible and yet a relief. I almost have to convince myself that she really was alive, that I really did live through that horrible day when she died. But I am relieved that I can't feel every moment of that day, and can't feel the way I did then.

The past week has been tough. Two days after I found out about my mother's breast cancer returning, my dad went to the hospital. He fell a couple of months ago and didn't tell anyone he'd hit his head. His speech was slurred, he was sleeping a lot, having memory problems, and even started dragging his foot. My mother finally convinced him to go to the hospital. Turned out he had a massive blood clot. They operated twice and he finally returned home two days ago.

I spent several days in limbo, trying to find out whether I needed to fly out right away or not. My brother, single and living much closer to our family, flew out the next morning. For me it was of course a matter of trying to figure out what to do with my daughter, whether my husband could be out of school for a couple of days, and whether we could even get a ticket for the day we needed it.

So Sunday night, we'll be flying out to see my parents. I am so relieved my dad isn't in the hospital. I hate hospitals. When I was 17, my mother was in a very bad car accident, and I suppose the trauma of seeing her there stuck with me. About 6 years ago, a friend of mine was in a bad accident, and while our husbands convinced me to go see her, they were both stunned when I burst into tears waiting to be let into the ICU.

I said goodbye to my daughter in the hospital. My friend (the one in the accident) tells me that doesn't even count as a hospital visit, really. But the mere thought of walking into a hospital makes me very anxious. So I am grateful I likely won't have to do that.

And yet I am still wondering, how often are the waves going to come crashing over my head? How many more times? I learned years ago to never say things can't get any worse, because they always can. They have been even worse (at times) in the past 18 months than I've written here.

I am still here though, still plugging along, and I guess that's all that matters. And if the only thing that has brought me to tears recently is Baby Born, then I guess I should consider myself fortunate.

6 comments:

  1. I hope your dad is okay...and may the next weeks and months bring smoother tides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lordy Lordy, you're Dad's health is of urgent concern too? That's hard! I'm thinking of you and your family. I hope that you are with them now and that you at least get some relief from being with them.

    That whole paragraph you wrote starting "The fact is my daughter is gone.... etc" really resonated with me. I think actually I feel similarly, but I am not yet ready to admit to myself that that's how I feel. I still feel my grief for our daughter was the only kind of intimacy or connection with her I ever had, and I am not yet ready to give it up.

    And yet my belly is growing, and time is moving on, and the months ahead are going to require more courage of me than I can find at the moment. Sometimes this life and death paradox I am living in my body does my head in. I'm not aiming at 'florishing' or 'growing in spirit' or 'finding my passion' at the moment. I'm aiming for endurance, and I think in times of prolonged extreme hardship, endurance is a very noble aim. Endurance is like courage in marathon form. Maybe that's what it is that you're also doing that looks from the outside like 'plodding'.

    Thanks for the post. If I was on speaking terms with God I'd offer to pray for your family. I'm thinking of you anyway, and wishing you peace in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with them, but honestly, it brings me more unrest than peace. Same old annoying family patterns playing out, and when I stand up for myself (as I did literally 30 seconds before typing this) I get yelled at for...I dunno, being a grown-up?

    Love what you said about being on speaking terms with God. I have a post brewing on that topic. It's probably time I wrote another. Being here is making all kinds of things churn up in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, I finally pulled my head out of the fog to re-read your comment, Sophia. Are you pregnant?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh NO! Did you not get that email I sent to you a few months ago? Yes I am pregnant, 17 weeks. Hence the patchy communication due to godawful nausea and trying to rap my head around doing a high-risk pregnancy.

    Yes, pregnant. So nauseas, tired, poor, hanging out at the obstetricians office a lot, but grateful to be pregnant. With the year we've had, and being 37, hats off to my body for being able to get pregnant and stay pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Sophia! I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete