Friday, February 18, 2011

No Comfort

Comfort. What does that mean? I remember hearing it so many times in the days, months, and weeks after my daughter's death. It was often part of a sympathy card or email from someone, hoping I'd find comfort in whatever. I suppose peace is completely out of reach. Was? No, still is. How can I be peaceful when my mind and heart won't stop thrashing?

So what is comfort? The first thing that comes to my mind is a blue blanket. Here's why. Sometime during the days between my daughter's death and her memorial service, I remember sitting on a sofa in my house, surrounded by the people that kept us company during that time. It was May, but because it had rained, not as warm as it normally is here during that time of year. My friend looked at me and asked if I wanted a blanket. I think I asked her why, because I remember her saying something like, "I don't know, just seems like it'd be nice and cozy." And she put this fuzzy blue blanket over me. I'd bought it for guests to use and I don't think it had actually been used yet.

Oddly enough, when I think of those days, what I remember is sitting on the sofa, day after day, with the blanket over me, watching my friends eat and talk and worry. The truth is, I spent the better part of 2 days in my office planning the memorial service, and one day at the funeral home. I remember that too, but the sofa and blanket are the first things that come to mind. Maybe they were the only things that did give me comfort at the time.

The word has been spinning around in my head this week. I can't seem to find comfort. I miss my girl, every other thought in my head is of her. I feel alone and lost. She used to ask, "Mommy sad?" and would be truly devastated if the answer was yes. I feel as though the only person who truly cared that I was sad is gone and now the reason for my sadness.

Two friends gave me maternity clothes. It was very kind for a couple of reasons. First, because it's tough to find maternity clothes in smaller sizes for a short woman. Second, I sold many of my maternity clothes just before my daughter's death, thinking I was done being pregnant. It's turned out to be a blessing in an unexpected way, because the few items that were left remind me of being pregnant with my now nearly two year old daughter, and wearing the clothes around my daughter who, if she had lived, would be 4.

I suddenly remembered last night, the shirt I was wearing the day she died, the nursing tank top I wore to bed the night before we found her. I wore it until I went to the hospital to say goodbye and I can picture myself sitting on the sofa (same sofa, same spot) nursing my 5-week old in it. My husband tells me I should get rid of it, but here's the thing--I wore the same shirt to nurse my firstborn. In some way I bought it for her.

I've been having trouble falling asleep. And I wake up every night between 2 and 4 AM. Sometimes it's because I hear my daughter. Other times I'm not sure what wakes me, but being pregnant, I almost always get up and go to the bathroom. When I get back, I'm determined to fall asleep but it just doesn't happen. And as the week has passed, I find myself lying there becoming sadder and more anxious. In the morning, I'm exhausted.

So back to comfort. What gives me comfort? I thought of two things and right now I can only remember one. Hot showers. I like a nice, hot shower. It seems to be the one way I can lose myself. Is that really all I've got? I'm only 18 weeks pregnant, so I have at least 21 weeks to go. What will give me comfort for the next 5 months?

3 comments:

  1. I remember you talking about something else that gave you comfort in the days after your daughter's death: your baby girl. Maybe she will again be the the thing that brings you comfort in the upcoming months (and perhaps thoughts of the sibling who will soon join her as well).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something about the age she's at now, I feel like I have to let go her. She asks about other people now. Before, when I felt so alone, her mere presence was reassuring. These days, a wiggly 2-year old, well, it's quite a different feeling.

    Distraction--this has always been my escape. Being pregnant, I can't indulge in some of my usual distractions--hot bath, a fast run around the neighborhood, glass of wine--and am having trouble finding others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the 'comfort' thing difficult at present too. Nausea and pregnancy rule out many of the things I'd usually do for self-care and comfort. I have taken to renting a lot of stand-up comedy DVDs (not so good for the bladder!). I find a lot of comfort in physically being around my husband. Sometimes writing is a comforting thing. I'm awake here as well between 2 am and 4 am (3.21 am as I write). Sometimes my baby's kicks are a bit comforting, but not as much as people expect them to be. It's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete