Monday, March 14, 2011

Another Look at Comfort

I've been thinking more about comfort. I know when I'm at the absolutely depths, or at least as close to them as I can get without actually being back to the day my daughter died, I just can't comfort myself. I suppose that's why my house was filled with people for days on end. They knew I couldn't find comfort, could barely find the bathroom in the morning, so they came to make sure that at least I ate and drank.

Anyway, I was able to think of a few things. As one of the comments mentioned, my younger daughter does continue to be a source of comfort for me. As she gets older, she's no longer completely dependent on me. She asks for and is comfortable with other peopleother people, and even asks to see particular people. But that doesn't mean we aren't connected anymore. After my last post, I was completely down for a couple of days. I honestly couldn't figure out what would bring me out of it.

Then one night, I was home alone after putting my daughter to bed. She was in her crib for 5 or 10 minutes, then stood up absolutely distraught. She sometimes does fuss, and it almost always means she has a wet diaper. Other times, I'll sing her one more song and she's fine. But that night, nothing I did seemed to help. I kept asking her what she wanted and she just kept getting upset. After a while, I put her back in the crib, which seemed OK, but then I started to leave and she again started crying. I never did figure it out, but I did eventually leave her there and she fell asleep.

The next day, she was with the nanny all day. When the nanny left, she told me that even though another little boy was with them, my daughter had been uncharacteristically quiet all day. It occurred to me that she might somehow be reflecting my feelings. I hadn't been talking much either for 3 days by then. So I pulled myself out of it. I still can't stand the idea that I might negatively affect her.

And I started thinking of other comforts. After my daughter's memorial, our house was quiet. My brother stayed a few days after everyone left, and then we escaped to a vacation house owned by friends. At some point, we found ourselves back in the now-quiet house with just a small baby who slept a lot. But all the debris of the people who'd been there was left behind, so we started cleaning. We cleaned and cleaned. Then a friend of mine visited for a week. After she left, we cleaned some more. The cleaning went on until I went back to work, I believe, except for about a week when we flew across the country to visit my parents.

Another thing I did a lot was watch TV. I don't watch much TV, especially during the day. But at that time, I watched a LOT. I tried renting movies, but you never know what you might see in a movie, and I didn't know what would upset me. So I started watching HGTV--Home and Garden TV, along with cooking shows. That's about as inocuous (and in many ways, irrelevant) as you can get. I watched people remodel homes, shopping for homes, shopping for their first homes, getting homes ready to sell.

So these are two things I've done a bit of recently--excessive cleaning and watching cooking shows. It's funny how they numb and soothe my mind.

Here's one other thing I find oddly comforting. I bought my daughter this toy in early November. I honestly find it cute and hilarious. It's even funnier when she dances around with it.

It's the little things, I suppose. Other people just can't always be there for you. Life gets in the way of some of the things that provide us comfort. I'm hoping that posting these things, I might remember then when I really need them.

3 comments:

  1. If possible, please please please send a little of your obsessive cleaning energy my way. I am soooo tired at the moment, and our house is a mess which gets me down. I think it could be argued that obsessive house cleaning is a lot more productive than obsessive sitting on my bum pointlessly prowling the net for goodness knows what....

    Me too, it's the little things that are comforting. I am comforted when the heat and humidity back off a bit. I take some comfort in music. I love the look of that toy: silliness can be comforting for me too.

    Here's the best news for my self care for ages: as of last week, I am able to drink the occasional decaf cappacino without my nausea going through the roof. This has never happened before in the other 3 pregnancies. What an unexpected bonus! I have not been able to drink any hot drink in any of the other pregnancies. I still feel nauseas most of the time, but to be able to drink a cappacino again when I wasn't expecting to be able to for another 5 weeks is very cool.

    I find comfort in thinking of myself as a mother of 4. For the rest of my life, not many people will ever recognise me as that, but for now with my big week 32 belly when they ask me what number baby this is I proudly say 4 and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wounds like maybe you DO know how to comfort yourself--at least to a degree. Maybe there is a part of you that equates comfort with being happy or no longer feeling grief, but that might be expecting too much of comfort. Comfort may be simply a brief distraction, a good night's sleep, a relief in anxiety, or a feeling of ease; it may not always be so clearly recognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're both right, it is the little things and that's what I should be looking for. Going from distraught to peaceful is ridiculous. Less distraught is probably more realistic, with the knowledge that over a few days I'll feel better.

    Sophia, these days, at 22 weeks, all I obsess about it is sleep! Just after my daughter died, I was postpartum though, so all that cleaning was oddly comforting and helped get off the baby weight. Bizarre, really, how appropriate it was at the time.

    Glad you're able to stomach the cappucinos! I have a little caffeine almost every day but real coffee gives me horrible heartburn. :(

    ReplyDelete