Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Feng Shui

When we first moved to this house in November, we had the top of the bed against one wall, between two windows. I ended up getting hit by light from another window, and from the bathroom (which has no door) so I had my husband move the bed to another wall. This put us right beside the door that goes out into the hallway.

The bed stayed there for months. The past week or so, every time I got into bed, I think to myself that something isn't right. I thought maybe the pillow needed to be replaced, or the sheets, or maybe we need to paint the room.

Two nights ago, the dam finally burst. I went to bed (my husband was studying) only to wake up a short while later and frantically start scribbling in my diary. More on the diary later...

My husband came in, and immediately held me. And I told him the bed didn't feel right, I couldn't sleep there. He asked if I wanted him to move it, and I said yes. At first, I couldn't decide where to put it. Eventually I told him to move it back to where it had originally been. And he did. He lugged the king-size bed back to the other spot. And I slept better than night than I have in a week.

Part of the reason I didn't want the bed there was because in our old house, where my daughter died, the bed was against the wall between two windows. But somehow, it was important to me to be able to see the door and I actually wanted the bed to be positioned similar to how it was in our old house.

Feng shui--apparently a Chinese art which helps balance the energies of a particular space to ensure fortune, health, luck, etc. I kept thinking about feng shui while my husband was rearranging our room. I kept thinking there was no way I could ever balance the energies of my room. We have a beautiful house, twice the size of our old one. And all I can think is that if she was still with us, we wouldn't be here.

We just got a new TV. My parents bought it for us. Our old one was admittedly on its way out, but it certainly wasn't a NEED. And looking at it also reminds me that we wouldn't be here if my daughter was still with us.

I had an appointment with my therapist last week. She said that the first year of living with grief is just feeling and trying to get through each day. The second year, recovery requires that you process what you've gone and are going through. This means talking about it with a therapist, or friends, even if you know what they'll say or even if they say nothing. It means pulling those feelings you've shelved down so you can examine them and truly feel them.

I thought about that for days after the appointment. I had lunch with a friend on Sunday. I didn't want to go--was feeling so emotional about so many things, I thought I'd rather just be alone and I cried the entire 45 minute drive. But once I got there, we started talking. I told her what I've been going through, what the therapist said, and she listened and was so good.

At some point, she mentioned that I might want to write things down. I've known this friend since I was 12 years old and she knows I've kept a journal since I was 8. She suggested that writing it down might make me feel less like I had to remember everything, because then it was there whenever I wanted to look.

So that night, when I sat up in bed feeling all wrong, I was writing "I remember" over and over again. I've done this twice now--written about the events surrounding her death--and it does make me feel a bit better, just as talking to my friend over lunch made me feel better.

My feng shui, balancing of energies, I doubt it'll ever completely happen. I'm trying my best to do what I can with my space, my memories, my feelings, to get there.

5 comments:

  1. Feng Shui also places an emphasis on wind chimes. A nice ritual might be to buy a set of beautiful chimes with a lovely sound, hang them (Feng Shui has certain "rules" about the best places for doing this), and then when you hear them, you could think of your daughter--and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was courageous of you to go to lunch with your friend when it was so hard for you to get out the door, and double courageous to talk to her about how you are really doing. I think your friend also showed courage if she really listened to you and let you talk.

    Am I right in thinking that you feel like you've got all those incredibly painful memories stuck in your head all the time? I imagine that might truly truly truly suck. Or is it that you have some memories of your daughter alive that you want to absolutely cement them into your brain so you don't lose them? As for me, my memories of my daughter's birth are much more painful than my memories of her death, which by comparison was a peaceful event. My memories of her birth are clouded by the gas I had been sucking throughout the labour, and also some pethadine, and here at 7 months out it's fine with me if those memories are cloudy. At this stage those memories don't mess with me and I feel no compunction to mess with them. The time will probably come for me though... Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a large wind chime someone gave me when I moved into my previous home. Might try hanging those--I like the idea.

    Courageous--I didn't think of it that way. I think I often drag myself through work, my day, life in general by obligation. But sometimes that's a good thing. The first year was a total fog. I would do whatever it took to get through the day (sometimes that meant a lot of cleaning--it kept me busy and kept me going). This year, I'm starting to experience more, feel more. I don't necessarily REMEMBER more though.

    The circumstances of my daughter's death are oddly similar to the circumstances of her birth. Sophia, if you'd like me to email you the details, I wouldn't mind, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would certainly like to know the circumstances of your daughter's death but ONLY if you feel like sharing them... I know for myself the story of our daughter's birth and death is like a sacred story for our house, which is partly why I haven't given my blog address out to all and sundry. So yes, if you'd like to email me I'd be honoured to read it.

    I am hanging around a site called 'Glow in the Woods' this last week and I like it. There are so many group sites out there aren't there, but that's the one that is suiting me at the moment.

    http://glowinthewoods.squarespace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophia, I can't find a way to email you. If you want to share your email, you can post it here and I promise I'll delete it as soon as I see it.

    ReplyDelete