Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Speechless shopping

I was telling a friend recently that I feel guilty for not talking to my toddler more when I take her out. Some of it has to do with not wanting to upset the apple cart--if we walk into a store and she's fine, then I'm not going to do anything to change that. If she's fussing, then I'll talk to her, show her things, find a way to distract her.

The other thing is, stores are full of things I wish I could show my older daughter, things she never got to see and never will. I'm literally rendered speechless as I look at the volume of things she never will see. And then I look around and see so many children, moms with their daughters, a little girl with her sister, and I'm even more stunned.

I don't know why this is happening to me now. I get so sad and so angry when I go out. It's worst when I'm shopping, because I see so many things, and so many other parents with children. If I'm at a restaurant with friends or family, then I'm occupied, and while I do think about the foods she never got to eat, the experience is somewhat more limited.

The past few weeks, I've actually come out of stores nearly in tears and/or enraged. I'm not angry AT anyone. But I admit, I often look at parents and think, "Why do you get to have that child (or those children) with you while my girl is gone?"

I have no solution, no way to overcome this feeling. For now, I try to focus on my toddler, to show her as much as possible, just as I did with her older sister. And maybe it's mostly in silence, but I'm trying.

And I remind myself that anyone looking at me would never know, might look at my toddler and think the same--how come I get to be with her, while their child is gone. It's a reminder that I never know what others have been or are going through. A reminder to be compassionate and kind, to myself at least, and to others when possible.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post. I've just come back from a session with my own counsellor where we were talking about what I could be doing with my own anger, so it's very topical for me. Anger is such a strong emotion isn't it. May I also offer you a quote? I read it last night and thought "I like that, but it's not where I am at at the moment" and then i read your post today.... It's from Percy Ainsworth:

    "In a world where life goes hard with us all in turn, I say that tenderness and the loving will to help are never out of place, and never wasted."

    Too bloody right. I'd also like to second your comment about the importance of being compassionate to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote, you've always got a good one to share! What's hard for me may be unbearable for someone else, but I do think in life, there is always hardship.

    ReplyDelete