Friday, September 17, 2010

Reboot

I've known a couple of people who've lost children, one just before and one just after I did. Both couples went to Europe just afterward. That wasn't an option for us, but we did travel cross-country and stayed with my family for a couple of weeks.

After my daughter's memorial, we had visitors for a few weeks. My brother stayed with us a few extra days, then we went and stayed at a vacation home owned by some friends for a few days. Then my college roomate came to visit. She had planned the visit months before, intending to see the new baby and help with my older daughter. She extended her stay by a few days and got us through that tough period. All of these activities helped fill up time, keep us from sinking into dispair.

Then for a couple of weeks, it was just us. In our now-quiet house. My younger daughter was about 3 months old, and still slept a lot. We were so used to having a 2 and a half year old around, taking her to the park, to see friends, we didn't know what to do with ourselves in our empty, quiet house. So we went to visit my family, and when we came back, I started work again. I had been off for 12 weeks--6 before her death, and 6 after--all technically maternity leave. It was a strange few months, but somehow traveling helped make the adjustment.

As I've posted before, losing my daughter was like being swept off the path I was on and being dumped on another, with no way to even look back at the old one. Getting away was, for me and maybe for the other couples I mentioned, sort of a reboot. It cleaned the slate in some tiny way, allowing me to stand up on the new path and continue on.

Four days from now, my daughter will have been gone for 16 months. I'm feeling weary. I haven't cried, had any flashbacks, or felt the rage I had a few months ago. I'm just tired. I do all the "normal" things--work, participate in social activities, take care of my toddler, and so on. But I know I have a diminished capacity. I'm a little slower at seemingly everything, and there are many things I just let slip by that I wouldn't otherwise.

I'm wishing for another reboot, something that will give me a new burst of energy. After my daughter died, and the business of her death (memorial, people in our house, etc.) was over, I felt like I almost literally had to pick up my family and keep moving. I feared if I didn't, I, maybe we, would all break down and never recover.

So in a way, I have been running, carrying at least my child and perhaps my husband with me for a long time now. Through it all, I've had this feeling of disbelief (denial, I suppose) that I know just can't go on forever. The disbelief of losing my daughter has changed into disbelief that I am living without her, but it's almost equally exhausting.

Outwardly, I doubt anyone who knows me or sees me would know I'm exhausted. Honestly, even finding time for me (working full-time, with a toddler and a husband who's in school and working) is a bit of a task. And of course I do EVERYTHING with the shadow of her death over me, over every thought I have. How do I escape it? I don't know that I can. I suppose it's like a diabetic who is always diabetic. Medicine helps ease the symptoms, but they're always there.

I could use some rest. Any ideas?

4 comments:

  1. This may sound silly, but have you seen those new Jello commercials--the ones that say "it's ME o'clock?" It sounds like you need some ME TIME--as a regular part of your schedule, and every day if possible. Sometimes we all get so busy we think "I can't," but that's simply because we are making everything else a priority over ourselves. If you recognize that YOU are a priority too, you are likely to be able to carve SOME time out of your schedule. It might just be time to go and sit in a Starbucks or Barnes & Noble for an hour, but it is time for YOU.

    But the exhaustion may linger for awhile regardless. As I think you have noted before, grief IS exhausting. Doing things like sharing your burden with others and taking time for yourself can lighten the load, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..... I am thinking....Not coming up with anything but I will continue to think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does working out count? I usually exercise for about 45 minutes each day. It's almost like showering for me though--I enjoy it, but it's not special enough to count as me time, I guess.

    I'm a trained Montessori teacher, and the woman who trained me used to say that for children, doing something different is restful. They don't necessarily need to do nothing. I think that's often true for adults. I spent about an hour yesterday cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen, and that somehow rejuvenated me.

    I also spent some quality alone time with my husband, mostly watching a movie, but it was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exercise certainly can count (it's definitely my own me time!), but it may not be enough. And I'm also wondering if ideally, at least some of your me time might need to be away--away from home, baby, husband, responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete