Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The origin of the name

There really is no such thing as an ordinary life. Your life may seem ordinary to you, or to me, but to someone somewhere, I believe each of is is somehow special. My daughter was special to me.

A day or two before my daughter's memorial service, I went out with my husband and brother to buy a guest book for attendees to sign. I didn't find one I really liked, so I looked at blank books and journals. There was one, it was small, with a pink cover that said "There's no such thing as an ordinary life" that seemed just right. My daughter didn't really prefer pink, red was more her color, but the color was appropriate for a young girl.

Unfortunately, I didn't get it to the memorial site in time, but a friend had taken another book there so most of the signatures ended up in the other book. A few went into the pink book. I took that book and started writing down memories of her. Big ones--her mannerisms, habits--and small ones--events, funny things she said.

Someday, her sister, or her nieces, or someone will want to know about her. I want someone who knew my daughter to always be able to pass on her story. There is no such thing as an ordinary life, and for that reason, no life, no matter how short, should be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment