Monday, March 1, 2010

Healing

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the word "healing." At first, I thought it meant I would feel completely better someday, that I would no longer feel sad, anxious, angry, etc. about losing my daughter, that I would stop flashing back to the day she died, saying goodbye to her at the hospital, the days leading up to the memorial, and the months afterward that passed in a blur.

I later decided that emotional healing is a lot like physical--there is always a scar. Both my daughters were born via c-section. The scar is small, even after two surgeries, a faint line that can't be seen even when I wear a bikini. But it's there, as is a raised area directly above it, which is where the scar tissue is. Sometimes, when I get sweaty or overheated, the scar itches. Otherwise, I don't think about it too often.

I'm assuming that someday, that's where emotional healing will get me--my daughter's death will affect me only sometimes. I can already tell that I think about it--her accident, all the things she didn't get to do, the fact that she's gone forever--less than I used to. I never thought I'd get back into the other things in life, but somehow I have.

HOWEVER, when I do remember--when I flash back to that day, to finding her, to being in the hospital--I'm hit hard. It's like I'm back there. It's the experience without the cushion provided by shock. I suppose that's what counseling is for. I started going right after she died and I do think it's helped.

An emotional injury isn't like a physical one. You break your leg, people see your cast and give you a break. Even after you heal, you may have a scar that people will ask you about when they notice it. Most people have no idea what I've been through. Sometimes that's good--I need to get through life without being completely raw and emotional all the time. Other times I wish I could wear my broken heart on my sleeve. Maybe if everyone else could see it, and be appropriately sensitive, maybe some days would be easier.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you use an analogy between a physical and emotional healing process--I use this with my clients all of the time. With a broken leg, not only do others notice, but also they tend to KNOW what you need--e.g., help opening doors, someone to drive you places, etc. With emotional healing, even if someone else recognizes your need, they often don't know exactly how to MEET that need. And what that means, unfortunately, is that for the person in emotional pain to get help, they often have ask for it specifically.

    ReplyDelete